Specific instructions will be provided based on which tracer will be used and whether you are diabetic, but general instructions are as follows:
- Nothing to eat 4 hours prior to your scan – (no mints, gum, cough drops and hard candy).
- Prior to the fasting period, eat a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.
- Your glucose level will be tested once you arrive at the scanning facility. If for any reason your level is out the range approved by the radiologist, your exam will have to be rescheduled.
- Drink 2-3 cups of plain, clear, unflavored water only throughout the fasting period (no juice, coffee, tea or soda).
- Take your oral medication or insulin 4 hours prior to your exam. Do not take any of your diabetic meds within 4 hours from the start of your appointment.
- If you use an insulin pump, please contact our scheduling department for further instructions.
- Bring as few items as possible however; please DO bring a current list of medications and your insurance card.
- Wear warm, comfortable metal free clothing.
- Post scan instructions will be provided by the Technologist